Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Thee

As many of you know, I went through a rather difficult season of life from about the end of September to February of this past year. Though I have not emerged unscathed from the battle, the Lord has taught me more than ever before - about myself, my place in His Kingdom, and what to do with this marvelous gift called "life." Below are a few lines I scribbled down during an uneasy night; they're all about moving from sin to grace, fear to trust, dust to glory. I hope you're encouraged; I'd like to know what you all think!


THEE

When white-washed walls and sleepless nights
Bid death to dreams and hide His face
My hope stands firm, my soul clings fast
I slip into the sea of grace.

When endless storms and worldly gales
Capsize this ship of broken praise.
The ballast broken, undone, and yet:
I lean on Him who calms the waves.

Oh how I wish the sun would dawn,
and chase away these clever lies,
to brighten all the colors here,
and strip me of this cruel disguise.

I think of things yet to be,
Like a canvas for a bright, new day,
Yet lurking 'neath my humble hope
are fears untamed, a heart dismayed.

I've had enough of jaded dreams,
and waking to find misery
I'm sick and sorry for all I've done,
Please come again, and rescue me.

Pardon me with springs of grace,
With showers cleansing ever stain,
Calm the fears that tempt new tears,
Till the false gods wither and wane.

~*~

Thee, my Lord and my God, I find
Thou changest not when hope is blind;
You do not run when tempests roar
Or faint when fear is at the fore.

My mountains slipped into the sea
And terrors seemed to swallow me.
Still You stand in sovereign light
Yet kneel with me before each fight.

No more black dragon of despair,
No more hot breath and heavy air,
Can pierce my conscience or hold death's night
His day has put my dark to flight.

“Take heart, my son; you’ll soon be home,
Fresh courage take from heaven’s throne.
Though joy sits begging on empty streets,
Forever she will not orphaned be.”

3 comments:

Amy said...

wOw...that's a great poem john!!! what else can I say...I was very encouraged!!!

Brian said...

Jonathan - truly amazing poem and looking back at what you were going through, HE was there all along. Got a little teary eyed at the end.

Brent Klontz said...

This is encouraging my friend. Way to make psalms, hymns and spiritual songs in your heart to God.