Monday, November 06, 2006

When Life is in Discord

Two things:

First: I have a new love. Her name is swing... swing-dancing that is (you were right, Rusty). This past Saturday night Hannah and I nailed down some freakin-sweet moves at the good ol' Cat's Corner (or Kat's Korner... whatever). But the highest point of the night took place outside of the odd-smelling dance hall when the things of God came up among four of us sitting at a elementary lunch table. Brent Klontz - you're such a stud ;) - was beginning to tell me how his relationship with God was going when a certain sweat-soaked young man named Anoki (yes, it's his real name. And yes, it does make him sound very much like a jedi.) sat down next to us. Long story short: Brent started asking him questions and Anoki quickly confessed to being an atheist, therefore the things of God didn't apply to him. We got to talk for another 15 minutes or so; most of his arguments went back to his evolutionary worldview. It was a good convo, but he definitely needs prayer.

He was unashamed to confidently agree with me that his worldview provided moral autonomy so he could live life his own way without ever having to think of the blinding holiness of the God who is going to keep him accountable for all he has done. I'm sure I'll have more opportunities to talk with him as I plan to go swing-dancing every Saturday night I can spare. Please pray for God to open his eyes.

Second (and much more sobering): my grandpa John (my mom's dad) has been having lots of health complications during the past several months. But things have recently taken a turn for the worse. He has stopped eating out of a refusal to live the rest of his life in a wheelchair. He is 85; he is not a believer. So my parents are flying out on Tuesday to go see him - probably for the last time. Please pray that God would save his soul.

5 comments:

rustypth said...

yay for swing dancing. Lindy Hop is where it's at. You should take lessons From Dabney =). He's the best in AZ (imho).

I know Anoki. Nice guy. I saw him from the beginning (of his dance career). He's come a long way. He's probably better than me now! lol. I'm glad you were given the chance to share the gospel to him. Might our God be gracious and grant to him repentance unto life.

I'll be praying for your grandpa, and your family.

Amy said...

Hey John!
Thanks for blogging finally. I need to update about my sharing opportunity yesterday! I am glad to hear that you LOVE swing dancing and I will say I told you so...

I will also be praying for your family and your grandpa. Both of my grandpas passed away, so I know how difficult that must be for you guys.

rustypth said...

You're still a dinosaur

Oh and Heather - no comment =)

rustypth said...

this blog entry is about to turn into fossil fuel it's so ancient






=)

Brent Klontz said...

I also praised God for our chance to share the gospel with Anoakie. Thanks John for your diligence to proclaim the truth in a caring way.