Thursday, July 06, 2006

A Difficult Conversation

"...so John..." the cheerful, and (normally) giddy girl paused briefly as if acknowledging the intense weight of the question she was a about to ask - and though terrified of the consequence, her love for the truth drove out all other fears, "...so what's going to happen to my dad after he dies?..."

I leaned back in my chair at Starbucks, breathing in deeply and offering the quickest, yet most sincere prayer that never left my lips.

"...I mean, I just don't get it... he's a good guy and all... but he's never gotten into religion or followed the Bible or anything like that..." She paused again. But this time she was biting her lip and doing her best to hold back a flood of tears that had been building up over the years.

"...John, I... I don't want my Dad to go to Hell..."

Her watery eyes met mine. And - for a short eternity - there was silence.

4 comments:

Heather said...

So how does it end?

rustypth said...

i agree with Heather

Jonathan Roberts said...

Thanks all for the comments!

To answer the lingering question: the conversation carried on to greener grass as I shared with Stephanie both about the power and ability for God to save and simultaneously the need for us to be diligent in praying and sharing.

We talked for a good 3 hours or so. God blessed it tremendously. Be praying for her, though, as she is a confused Christian going to a catholic church. Pray 1) that God would get her out of the lies and false gospel of catholicism, 2) for her father and the rest of her family as they are not saved, and 3) that she would continue to desire to share the gospel with those she loves.

Oh that those we love would come to repentance and faith to join music of the rescued ones!

JJ Brenner said...

Good to here that you got to share the gospel with her.

Now if only you would update your blog...