Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Acapella

This weekend I celebrated New Year's Eve at Eli and Heather's joint. It was fantastic; we played games, ate loads of good food, and I got the chance to play with Micah!!! Good stuff...

Anyway the most memorable part of the night (for me anyway) was when we (Casey, Kayce, Jerry, and Tim) were all gathered around in the kitchen and somehow we randomly started singing hymns. To this moment I'm not sure how it all began, but it was so amazing. As soon as we were finished singing one, someone would immediately pick another hymn, and we'd all jump in (although some of us knew more of the words than others ;) ). Even though we were slightly off key half the time and managed to butcher a couple beautiful melodies, I was deeply moved.

I was reminded how much I love the hymns; they have so much to say about our faith. Two hymns in particular that we sang remain poignant in my mind: Be Thou My Vision and How Deep the Father's Love For Us.

I encourage you to read over them and let the words sink in...


How deep the Father's love for us
How vast beyond all measure
That He would give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

How great the pain of searing loss
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon a cross
My guilt upon His shoulders
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice
Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no powr's, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom



Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul's Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:T
hou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of heaven, my victory won,
May I reach heaven's joys, O bright heaven's Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.

-John

4 comments:

rustypth said...

That was so fun. In fact, Kayce and I are both known for randomly starting to sing hymns. I think the reason Christians love them is because they are so rich with Biblical teaching. And Christians love the Bible, sooooo, yea =)

We should do it more often.

Jonathan Roberts said...

I agree...

rustypth said...

/me clears his throat and begins to sing obnoxiously loud

Brent Klontz said...

I love that hymn brother. A few favorites of mine are: The Wonderous Cross, Amazing Grace, and It is Well. There are hundreds more that I love, but I also agree with Casey that the theology is what drives these amazing songs.